Whilst the Yaralla Garden is growing rapidly, it is too early to harvest any of our vegetables so we are still relying on produce sourced from our friendly greengrocer.
At the commencement of the term, veggies were identified as a “don’t really like to eat” food group. With the weekly focus on salad, this perspective has been challenged and we have introduced more varieties to our lunches.
To end the term, the team decided on Mexican Bean Salad for this week’s salad build. It was delicious!
Mexican Bean Salad
- 1x tin black beans
- 1x tin corn kernels
- 1x punnet cherry tomatoes
- 1x green capsicum
- 1x red capsicum
- 1x red onion
- 1x avocado
- 500g beef mince
- 1x packet taco spice mix
- large bag corn chips
1. Dice the onion and fry until cooked.
2. Add the minced beef and cook until brown. Add the taco mix to the onion/beef mixture in the pan, stir through thoroughly and cook until fragrant. Set aside in a small bowl.
3. Rinse and drain all the beans and corn. Add to a separate large serving bowl.
4. Dice the capsicums and avocado and chop the cherry tomatoes. Add to the large serving bowl with the beans and corn. Toss together with the vegetables.
5. Serve salad mixture into bowls or onto plates, top with taco beef and eat with corn chips.