The Yaralla program have continued exploring salad recipes, whipping up an amazing Brown Rice & Vegetable Salad this week.
Whilst our students were not overly keen about the humble salad at the start of the term, their enthusiasm has grown momentum each week as they have learned that they can create more than just the humble garden salad. This week many of our students chose to have seconds (and thirds!).
Brown Rice & Vegetable Salad
- 3 cups of rice
- 2-3 zucchini
- 2 onions, diced
- 300 g roast beef
- (any other vegetables you would like)
- multi-grain mustard
- olive oil
- red wine vinegar
1. Cook rice by adding 2 cups of water for each cup of rice. Bring to the boil and cook until water is absorbed and rice is tender., Chop zucchini and add to the rice once it is cooked. Set aside.
2. Meanwhile, dice and fry off the onions.
3. Chop remaining veggies and add to the rice and zucchini mixture. Tear up the roast beef/cold meat slices and on top of rice/veggie mixture.
4. To make the dressing, combine 2 tbsp multi-grain mustard, 1 tbsp olive oil, 1 1/2 tbsp red wine vinegar and some chopped basil in a small bowl.
5. Serve rice into bowls, top with some dressing and some (optional) chilli flakes.
6. Make sure you enjoy!